All law enforcement agencies are the front line of defense against terrorism. However, terrorists are well trained and can easily spot police, Coast Guard or law enforcement patrols. Terrorists may not
know what to look for in an alert citizenry - every man, woman and youth in America.
There are Seven Signs of Terrorism:
- Reconnaissance/surveillance: The reconnaissance cell will scout out the target and may use still cameras, video cameras, draw maps or diagrams, etc., to help get the layout of the target.
- Elicitation: A reconnaissance cell member may go around asking unusual questions about security at a given location or ask about first responders.
- Test of Security: The terrorist cell will test security at high value targets.
- Logistics/gathering supplies: It takes false documents, supplies for a number of people, explosives, and special equipment to support the terrorist.
- Suspicious people: Individuals may seem innocent enough but what they are doing may arouse suspicion.
- Dry run or test: The terrorist will take time and test their plan. Non-government or non-official "workers" loitering around a target may arouse your suspicions. Men coming and going from a house/apartment at all hours may be suspicious.
- Deploying assets or getting into position: Putting people in place near a target may arouse your suspicions. This may be the last chance to catch the criminals or terrorists.
that may need to be acted on by local law enforcement.